Learning Persian (Fārsī)? Here's a great collection of Persian (Fārsī) language learning resources to help you get fluent in Persian (Fārsī)! Start learning Persian (Fārsī) today.
“A different language is a different vision of life.” Federico Fellini There are plenty of reasons to learn a new language, but there are also some valid reasons why you might not want to tackle a new language learning journey. If any of the following apply to you, it might be best to sit this…
If you’re a visual interpersonal learner, learn through videos/images in a group setting. You’ll probably get frustrated and lose momentum if you attempt self-study. So don’t sabotage yourself! If you find yourself fitting into many of these categories, try a few out and see where you fit in the most.
Thirty-one days of absolute madness on my side, how about you? From summoning resources from every corner of the web and my local library to sleepless nights trying to figure out why my writing looks like cursive and less like the Persian alphabet.
I have family everywhere! I consider close friends part of that family, too. Therefore, I'm just sharing a bit about my immediate family members. Nothing major. I'll leave that for a future AMA.
My day was pretty mellow actually. I had so much to do, and I didn't have time to go to the library or the post office. The weather WAS nice, but unfortunately I was stuck indoors for the day. BOO!
Weekends are really when I get most of my tasks done. During the week it's nothing but work, study, work, eat cheese, and then eat more cheese. When making my to-do list, I wasn't worried about heavy grammar.
“The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.” Rudyard Kipling Fun Facts about Iran Iran is one of the world's biggest producers of saffron, caviar, and pistachios! When visiting someone in Iran, it is customary to bring pastries or flowers. Alcohol is banned. I'm surprised by the caviar, to be honest.…
There I was minding my own business and looking up the days of the week when I came across the Iranian Solar Hijri Calendar. It is also called the Shamsi Hijri Calendar. Instead of months like the traditional Gregorian calendar you and I are used to, it is decided by astronomical calculation for the Iran…
I think I've exhausted every library book and website on Persian (Fārsī). Even though I have fallen behind on my workbook, I am still going strong through PersianPod101. The Pimsleur Method Course in Persian will be waiting for me on my next library trip. I have one by Living Language at the moment but have…
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” Nelson Mandela Learn 10 Words in Persian I looked around the house and went for words I would probably end up using in daily conversation anyway. The word 'email' not that hard to remember, but writing it out is an entirely…
- Chai & Conversation – learn colloquial Persian. They also have a YouTube channel.
- italki – perfect for a more personalized language learning experience. They also have an app and you can pay per lesson!
- Learn Persian Farsi Easily, Effectively and Fluently – Persian language learning on Spotify.
- Learn Persian with Reza Nazari – YouTube channel. His website LearnPersianOnline.com has more paid resources.
- Learn Persian While You Sleep by Eko Languages – 8 hours!!
- Linguanaut: Learn Farsi – another free language resource with other languages available.
- Persian Language Foundation – an extensive website covering the Persian language and culture.
- PersianPod101.com – from Innovative Language. Also, has a YouTube channel.
- Pimsleur – they have Dari Persian and Fārsī Persian available. That's pretty impressive!
- Pronunciator – check your local library to see if they have this available. My local library replaced Mango Languages with this software. Pretty decent. FREE
- SquidTV Iran – listings of Iranian television channels and radio stations.
- Talk Like A Persian – this channel gives you a little bit of everything. It can cover simple topics such as numbers and the alphabet all the way to beginning conversational skills.
- Mango Languages – subscription required; $19.99/month or FREE with any participating library. I used to get this for free from my local library, and one day they suddenly stopped supporting it. It's similar to Duolingo (still, no Persian), but it focuses more on visual and audio. The monthly subscription is $19.99, but you'll have over 70 languages at your fingertips. I love those in-between lessons that give you cultural tips. You can access Mango Languages via the web and download lessons through the app (iOS and Android) on your phone or tablet.
- Mondly – one of the few apps available that
have the Persian language on its list.
- Speak and Translate by Apalon Apps – free with in-app purchases. Available for iOS only. **No audio available for Farsi (Persian)**
- Beginner’s Persian (Iranian Farsi) with Online Audio (Hippocrene Beginner's) by Mohammad Mehdi Khorrami
- Farsi: A Complete Course for Beginners by Living Language
- Farsi (Persian) for Beginners: Mastering Conversational Farsi by Saeid Atoofi, Ph.D
- Farsi (Persian) Phrasebook & Dictionary by Lonely Planet
- How to Write in Persian (A Workbook for Learning the Persian Alphabet): (Bi-lingual Farsi- English Edition) (English and Farsi Edition) by Nazanin Mirsadeghi
- Learn Farsi in 100 Days: The Ultimate Crash Course to Learning Farsi Fast by Reza Nazari – there's a workbook available, too!
- Learn Persian: A Complete Phrase Compilation for Traveling to Iran by Innovative Language
- Persian of Iran – from the University of Texas in Austin.
- Pimsleur Farsi Persian Basic Course – Level 1 Lessons 1-10 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Farsi Persian by Pimsleur – start here and work your way up!
- The Routledge Introductory Persian Course: Farsi Shirin Ast by Pouneh Shabani-Jadidi and Dominic Parviz Brookshaw
Know When To Take A Break
After spinning a decision wheel on New Year's Day in 2019, fate chose Persian (Fārsī) for me to learn in the #31DayAspiringPolyglot challenge. Even though resources for Persian (Fārsī) are somewhat limited compared to other languages, you can still find what you need if you seek it! I quit after 2 months because I had too much going on and couldn't carve out the time to keep learning. Persian has been the most difficult language, but it keeps pulling me back.
*Hey, this page contains affiliate links. There's no extra cost to you, but I receive a small commission when you decide to use them. They help me keep this party going.