American Sign Language
Learning American Sign Language? Here’s a great collection of American Sign Language learning resources to help you get fluent in American Sign Language!
- Dr. Bill Vicars – Another great YouTube channel for learning ASL. The format isn’t as organized, but you still get what you need. His website LifePrint goes into more detail.
- Handspeak – is another excellent ASL Video Dictionary. Start with the ASL 101 Tutorial, which a self-paced lesson plan for beginners.
- MicBergsma – well technically this is a YouTube channel that teaches you how to use your GoPro, but Mitch can also teach you ASL at the same time. A two-fer! (Here’s a post on how you can Learn a Language Through a Life Skill)
- Signing Savvy – is an ASL Video Dictionary. You can even build flashcards and share it with others. How cool is that?!
- Signed with Heart – This is a short video course on YouTube. I’m not sure if it’s still being updated, but the videos are still relevant and useful.
- ASL American Sign Language – free with in-app purchases. This one is slightly better only because it’s cheaper. For $2.99, you get the Pro version which gets rid of ads and unlocks all of the signs. This app has memory games too. While it isn’t as polished as The ASL App, it’s still pretty good for $2.99. Available for iOS and Android.
- The ASL App – free with in-app purchases. To be honest, it’s decent as a free version, but the packs are really what are going to get you. I paid to unlock all the packs for $9.99. I love that it includes phrases for social media, pop culture references and other phrases that you usually don’t find in ASL apps. You have the option of slowing down the videos, saving favorites, and searching for phrases within the app, One of the downsides: no dictionary. Available for iOS and Android.
Finding a Learning Buddy
My nephew and a good friend of mine are learning. It prompted me to learn. It’s a valuable asset to have people to practice with. I had an embarrassing situation while trying to buy a mirror.
You can read about it here.
*Hey, this page contains affiliate links. There’s no extra cost to you, but I receive a small commission when you decide to use them. They help me keep this party going.