Learning Russian? Here's a great collection of Russian language learning resources to help you get fluent in Russian! Start learning Russian today.
- Ba Ba Dum – interactive flashcards available for several languages.
- BBC Languages Russian – although it is no longer being updated, it’s still a good resource.
- Easy Russian – “Learn language from the streets!” They have other languages available. It's one of my favorite YouTube channels.
- Expat: Russian Survival Guide
- italki – perfect for a more personalized language learning experience. They also have an app and you can pay per lesson!
- Learn Russian: Step by Step
- NHK World Russian – yeah, this surprised me, too! They also have a podcast.
- Pimsleur – language immersion course. A bit pricey, but well worth it!
- RussianPod101.com – there are free language resources, and then there's premium content. They also have a YouTube channel and a podcast.
- SquidTV Russia – listings of Russian television channels and radio stations.
- Beelinguapp: Learn Languages with Audiobooks – free with in-app purchases. Available for iOS and Android, I love this app. You can read and listen to books in two languages.
- Duolingo – FREE. I know many folks who don’t like Duolingo, but it has its upsides. It’s easy to start, just download the app or head over to their site and start learning. I especially love chatting with the bots and trying to earn more lingots (in video game speak, cash, coins, and rubies) to unlock more culture lessons.
- Mango Languages – subscription required; $19.99/month or FREE with any participating library. I used to get this for free from my local library, and one day they suddenly stopped supporting it. It's similar to Duolingo, but it focuses more on visual and audio. The monthly subscription is $19.99, but you'll have over 70 languages at your fingertips. I love those in-between lessons that give you cultural tips. You can access Mango Languages via the web and download lessons through the app (iOS and Android) on your phone or tablet.
- Mondly – one of the few apps available that have the Russian language on its list.
- Polly Lingual Russian – free with in-app purchases. This used to be called Privyet and now is part of a language suite where you can learn other languages also. I have this on my AppleTV as well as on my iPhone for easy access and learning on the go. If you want to unlock all 13 languages, you’ll need to get the Polly Passport. The annual fee is $9.99. I love this subscription because I can also access it on other devices. It’s also one of the cheaper options out there. One thing to note is that you can also hire a Polly Ambassador who are live video tutors. Their rates and experience are listed clearly.
- Speak and Translate by Apalon Apps – free with in-app purchases. Available for iOS only.
- A Frequency Dictionary of Russian (Routledge)
- Colloquial Russian by Routledge
- Conversational Russian in 7 days by Shirlee Baldwin and Sarah Boaz
- In-Flight Russian by Living Language
- Learn Russian: Ultimate Guide to Learning Business Russian
- Pronounce it Perfectly in Russian by Barron’s
- Russian At A Glance by Barron’s
- Russian for the Business Traveler by Barron’s
- Say It Right in Russian by Easily Pronounced Language Systems
- Short Stories in Russian by Olly Richards
- The Berlitz Self Teacher: Russian
- The Everything Essential Russian Book
- The Cortina Method: Conversational Russian in 20 Lessons
- Teach yourself: Get Talking Russian in 10 days
- Teach Yourself: Russian Conversation
- Teach Yourself: Russian Grammar
- Michel Thomas Method: Russian Vocabulary Builder Plus
Learn Like A Kid and Learn the Basics
It took me one month to learn the Cyrillic alphabet! I'm not saying Russian is hard. I'm saying that I couldn't get the Cyrillic alphabet down. Once I learned it, I started to write Russian because you'll soon learn that it can be easy as Spanish. Spell it out phonetically, and you're pretty damn close. See, learning Russian can be fun!
*Hey, this page contains affiliate links. There's no extra cost to you, but I receive a small commission when you decide to use them. They help me keep this party going.